6.02.2017

Adjusting

Well, we've made our BIG move from New York City to Hope Street in Bristol, Rhode Island, and I've been learning what it takes to adjust.

The dictionary defines "adjustment" as "the small alterations or movements made to achieve a desired fit, appearance, or result." In this new apartment, new town, new state I find myself in a process of figuring out what my desired fit, appearance, or result are. It's been neither terribly easy or terribly hard--it's been a process, though, to which I've had to stay alert and open. Every day I need to remind myself that adjustment is a process that I can control. Whatever fit I want, I can adjust myself to get there. 

For writers and artists, isn't the process of revision the very same thing? The figuring out of what alterations and movements need to be made to achieve a desired fit, appearance, or result. Revision can be tricky, messy, confusing, even scary--and it can be exhilarating and revealing. So too when we are forced to adjust to a new situation in which we find ourselves within our lives or our art. 

Taking a larger view, this is definitely a period of upheaval and change throughout our society--requiring constant adjustment to try to make sense of things that I feel are senseless. Sometime, adjustment doesn't achieve a desired fit, but we do the best we can. As I take this journey, I embrace what sailors know instinctively--you can't direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails, and keep beating towards your destination.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I'm going through some big adjustments right now as well. I am adjusting my sails and will keep beating toward my destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's all we can do - and support one another as we do it.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this one, Emma. I needed to be reminded of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No question about it - a perpetually helpful attitude for the vicissitudes of life.

    Best wishes for this turn in your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your open and positive attitude. Adjustment is a good word for all of us to ponder. Wish you the best! (I'd have a hard time with the winters.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia. I have family in Maine and that's a place I may end up someday. Now the winters there are something to be reckoned with! :)

      Delete
  5. Welcome to RI!! I live in MA now but am a RI native. Bristol is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete