11.15.2012

Our Stories, Ourselves


The title of my blog is "Our Stories, Ourselves." I believe that who we are and how we live our lives informs the stories we create and the stories we tell. I believe that leading and living a creative life is at the heart of how we're able to create and share stories--stories about ourselves and stories about characters; stories about our world and stories about otherworlds. We are intertwined with and intersected by stories and it's a precious few who have the gift to give the gift of story to others.

I was reminded of all of this today when I read Crescent Dragonwagon's piece  in The Horn Book called "Over and Over." As much an author's examination of and rejoicing in the crafting of a beautiful, classic picture book, this is a daughter's examination of and rejoicing in a mother's career and the impending end of a beautiful, classic life. It's one and the same. So, I share this post here for others to be inspired--with the reminder to us all to embrace our own lives and embrace the lives of others by continuing to craft and share our stories.

http://www.hbook.com/2012/11/authors-illustrators/over-and-over/  zolotow overandover 222x300 Over and Over

--  The Horn Book, November 15, 2012





 (c) emma d dryden, drydenbks llc 

8 comments:

  1. I love this idea and it seems we're sharing a mindspace. I wrote something similar on my blog today while discussing Sharon Creech's new book The Great Unexpected, that there may not be borders between stories and our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - the borders are soft between our stories and our lives. Thanks for your nice comment.

      Delete
  2. I came here via a link from Harold Underdown, and I'm so glad I did. Thank you so much for leading me to Crescent Dragonwagon's essay. What a profoundly beautiful piece. As you say, so much to embrace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking a look at my blog, Amy!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this. IT is very bittersweet. And although my mother never wrote or published books, she is at a similar time in her life. One we will all, hopefully, get to. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best wishes to you on this journey, Carol.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11/15/2012

    I agree. The kind of person I am informs my books since everything to me is a form of memoir. I've always told myself my books will get deeper if I get deeper, more compassionate if I head in that direction. I've seen that happen with my son's poems as well. Betsy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Betsy! I love the notion of everything you write being some form of memoir. xo

      Delete